Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Owen opened his eyes today, ate a tiny bit of yogurt and had some sips of water. I brought out the video camera today and yesterday to capture his awake time, something I should have been doing all along. He is still comfortable. The medication he is on has been working wonderfully for that. He knows that we are with him, he will reach to hold my hand at night and when sitting next to him during the day. He also asks to be held some, which is my favorite time of the day!
I have been reading him his two favorite books every day-White Rabbit's Color Book and Goodnight Moon. If he is asleep when I begin, he always opens his eyes, or I notice that his breathing changes so I know that he is listening, and glad to hear the familiar words. I also play songs from "Little Shop of Horrors" that he used to sing, and the song "Back to Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins. He loves Christopher Robin and Pooh. When in Disney, Winnie the Pooh gave Owen some honey to eat. He was pretty excited, and the character assistant told Owen that Pooh doesn't share his honey with anyone, so he is pretty lucky!
I am so thankful that he is still with us. Everyday, I am grateful that we have been lucky enough to have him for another day. I don't know how many we have left, but we so value the ones that we are fortunate enough to receive.
I love you all and am sending you a big cyber-hug. This journey is difficult on all of us. I am so appreciative of the support we have received, but I realize that I am not the only one hurting. May you all find some comfort in happy memories and find beauty in every day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen -
I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. I hope all your boys are doing as well as can be expected under these circumstances. I check your blog first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I am always so grateful for each minute you all get to be together and even happier that Owen is comfortable. I hope you know how much you all have touched the lives of so many. Your strength and love are an inspiration. Enjoy every minute and have no regrets. God bless you and your boys. - Stacie

Anonymous said...

Jen--
I would be happy to do some laundry for you. I could also make a pasta salad. Please give me a call--you can get the number from Sue or call me there.
Mary Valente

Anonymous said...

Jen--I love to read your blog. It keeps me posted as we are always thinking of you guys. Maria and I talk about him everyday and she is also pleased to read your blog and see pics of Owen. We have a couple books--Where the Wild Things Are and Go Dogs Go, if you want some more to read.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Jen-
How beautiful! Kelly told me about this site and I am so glad that she did. What you write is so right from your heart and the photos are beautiful. I love you and you and your family are in my prayers. You know where I am if you need me.
Always,
Jean R.