Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Cast is OFF!!!

Hurrah!! The cast is off and Owen is able to crawl around again! Lately, he has been getting into these silly giggle fits where he laughs and laughs-sometimes for no reason at all other than just being in a good mood! It is so cute! I'm so thankful that he is able to remain so happy.
After Owen got his cast off, he was able to go down and get fitted for his AFO's. They will be ready on Wednesday. He chose to have Spiderman on the back of both of them. I hope he doesn't hate them-he will need to keep them on for almost the whole day starting from the get go-no working up his tolerance...He goes Wednesday for his final cardiology test, as well. Thank god, that all appears to be normal now. Chemo and radiation have sooo many side effects. The radiation to his brain caused his pituitary gland to become active, and his thyroid to decrease functioning. Imagine--a 4 year old going through puberty!! He has been put on thyroid meds, so hopefully that will prevent his pituitary from kicking in...He finished up his antibiotics for the staph infection in his broviac tomorrow. Hopefully it took care of the infection! The last few times, it kept recurring-it would be so nice to not have to live in the hospital for awhile...
As predicted, this week "off" has gone by way too quickly! I don't even feel like I have accomplished much at all. Amazing how many hours can go by that just seem wasted. I need to take my Students with Disabilities Content Specialty test on Saturday-that should be the last test I will EVER need to take, unless I decide to go and get another degree--oh so tempting, but not having to write papers ever again is also quite appealing! I am also hoping have the time when I am done with grad school to pick up a pen and write creatively again--oh how my fingers and mind have been aching to create new characters and story lines...I may even begin to write about Owen and what he has gone through...
On a sad note, we learned that a little girl named Heather who we met during our journey lost her fight... We got a thank you note from Jamie's parents. There was a beautiful picture of her on the cover, and when Owen saw it, he got so excited. "There's Jamie!!" He shouted. I think I will frame it for him. Such an amazing and beautiful soul she was-what a loss the world experienced with her passing, with the passing of both Heather and Jamie. Cancer sucks.


What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited...

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit.

No comments: