Wednesday, March 12, 2008

To Owen's Future Spouse....

Someday, my sweet little son will make someone such a happy spouse! He was in the bathroom with me during the morning routine, and I was putting on my glycolic acid peel. He was watching me and said, "What are you doing, mom?" I answered, "Putting chemicals on my face so I look younger." Owen put his hand on my leg and said, "You don't need to look younger, mom. You're beautiful just the way you are!"
That kid! He sure is a sweet one!
The other recent story I have about his sweetness happened a few months ago, but is still a good one. Owen was laying across me in bed one morning, and I was feeling particularly emotional that day (it happens to the best of us-we cannot pretend to be happy ALL of the time!) Owen had his head turned because he was watching television, but he said, "I love you, Mom." Being in the highly emotional state I was in, I started to cry because I was so touched. (He does that alot, mind you, saying "I love you" out of the blue, but I usually don't respond by crying!) He turned and looked at me, put his hand on my face and said, "No tears, Mommy. I love you. No tears..." and hugged and kissed me.
As stated in my television interview, gum and all, how could you not wake up happy to that? We are so very lucky to have him in our lives!
Owen has been chosen to be Women and Children's Hospital Child Champion of the Year-2008. He is so incredibly inspiring, I am so happy that he was chosen. I hope that other children (and adults) are able to take a look at Owen and see his amazing spirit, ability to smile and desire to care for others and realize that they can get through whatever difficulties they are enduring. He truly represents all children, not only those suffering from cancer, but every child who is experiencing difficult times. I hope that seeing his face will help raise awareness not only for childhood cancer (which I really hope it does), but all of the wonderful things Women & Children's Hospital in Buffalo does for children and their families. Each and every person we have met throughout our journey -- doctors, nurses, aides, cleaning staff, patients, other families, volunteers --people we don’t even know who have rallied around us, helped to fundraise for medical expenses. People have come up to us to share their heartbreaking stories-offering us the knowledge that their child was watching and protecting our little Owen from heaven--every single person we have met has been truly amazing. I have yet to write his story-we are quickly approaching the one year mark. I have not yet found the courage to do so, but I will.
Take the time to reach out today. Help someone in need-whether it be something as simple as a smile, or to actually gather some food and bring it to the floors of the hospitals for the parents who are there with their child and are not able to leave their childs side to get something to eat...there are so many things you can do to truly make a difference in someone's life. What are you waiting for? Make a difference-all it takes is one person, why can't that person be you?
Love
Jen

No comments: