Friday, July 25, 2008


Hi everyone!
Hope you all had a great Christmas in July-or at least felt that warm feeling in your heart! Ours was wonderful! Owen got a Wizard of Oz ornament that is new this year from Hallmark and loves it! It lights up and plays the little snippet where Dorothy and her pals ring the bell to see the Wizard and the little munchkin greeter says that the bell is out of order etc. He got a few puzzles, some books, and a few toys. Santa came to visit that evening and brought a few more gifts, as well! When we went to the hospital yesterday, they were celebrating Christmas in July there, so he saw Santa there, too! We spoke with Owen's oncologist and had the chance to look at his scans while Owen was getting a platelet transfusion. Things actually didn't look as bad as I had imagined, and with an increase in some of the medication Owen is receiving, he looks a million times better than he did a week ago! I am incredibly thankful that they are able to adjust meds like that and give him some more quality time! I am grateful for every day!
One of the play therapists who comes out to see Owen said that one of her clients wakes up each morning, tears open the curtains and yells happily, "I got another one, mom!" That's how I feel. Owen woke up so happy this morning-alert and playful. Even though I would have loved to sleep in a bit more, I will have the rest of my life to sleep in, and unfortunately, there will be mornings in my future when I will have to wake up without him. His face is the first thing I see when I wake up every morning-I can't imagine not being able to see him, touch him, kiss him, smell him...But for now, I have to focus on the positives-on the here and now, the good moments, his giggle, his voice saying "Wud you", either when I solicit it with an "I love you" first, or when he says it all on his own.
Owen made me a Build a Bear! We bought Patches, which is a bear that, when purchased, $1 of the sale goes to Pediatric Cancer-how could we not buy that bear for me?! It's too cute, and has Owen recorded saying "I love you" on a button in it. He made himself a turtle, and got a Batman costume for it, and cleverly named him "Bat turtle"!
Enjoy the sun, enjoy the rain-enjoy whatever is thrown your way. You may not have control over everything, but you do have control over the way you react to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and Owen that he was able to enjoy another Christmas. I think of you and Owen often. You are in my prayers... And you're right about the medication. Thank goodness we live in a country that has medication to help people that are sick enjoy life on earth a little longer or better. Give Owen another big hug. You can blame it on me (because I am sure he is getting so many hugs already) I will write again soon.
kitty